FOOTBALL CAKE

I love getting orders for cakes that i've never made before, it lets me try out new designs, exploring and it's just more practice.
Let's talk about my relationship with football.. I guess it started out when I was young from  playstation. My brother would make us play football and since he would always go for Manchester United I would always pick Arsenal.. and that's just how I became a 'die hard' Arsenal fan. The football star Mbappe in the recent World cup also got me hooked on football.
So I was obviously excited to make a football cake.
For the cake, I baked two 8" cakes using buttercream to stick them together. I then curved out the top and the bottom to get the circular shape. After the shape was achieved I gave the cake a crumb coat using buttercream then placed it in the freezer for about an hour while I prepared the fondant.
I made fondant in three colours; white, green and navy blue. The green for grass, white and navy blue for the cake. When the fondant was ready, I took the cake out of the freezer. I first rolled out the green fondant and placed it on the cake board. I then started off with thinly rolled white fondant which I used to cover the cake to act as a base.
To get the pattern on the cake, I cut out hexagon shapes from the white fondant and pentagon shapes from the navy blue fondant. I just got the shapes online enlarged them then traced them out. Those were my templates for cutting out the shapes.
 I then started sticking the shapes onto the cake with water. The technique used was sticking a white hexagon then the navy blue pentagons around the hexagon to ensure all gaps were filled.
I then rolled out the remaining green fondant to thin strips which I then cut out into smaller strips that I spread on the green fondant on the board, using royal icing to stick them, to bring out the grass.
For the name plate, I stuck a navy blue pentagon shape onto a white hexagon shape then placed the pair on top of the cake. I then wrote the name and message using white royal icing.
I steamed the cake using a kettle as I mentioned here in my baking hacks post. And voila, the cake was ready!
#score



Comments

Popular Posts