The Traditional Pot Cake





Pots are usually found in the kitchen and are meant for cooking. Most are either made of metal or clay. The first pots ever to be were made of clay. They were round and cylindrical and were used to cook traditional foods especially using firewood.




Throughout the years the pot has evolved and more modern versions are being made but they all seem to base on its initial design. The pot is seen as a heritage in the communities in which it was used. It has and is still being passed down from generation to generation.

In most communities, the pot is usually given to brides on their wedding days to remind her of her role of taking care of her husband, 'making sure he is well fed'..
This is how the idea of  pot cakes for weddings came about. Of course I had to get on board with this trend and come up with my own version of the cake.

This is my take on the cake;




I chose to work with brown and cream because they are quite earthy colours and also bring out the traditional nature of the pot.

 I made a rope like decoration at the bottom of the pot to give it a traditional feel.

I also put 'handles' on the pot..these are often used to remove food once it's ready.

The cup roses I put on top sort of bring out the idea of cooking in the pot and also prevent the cake from being too dull.




I feel like pot cakes are a really great choice for a wedding as it is a way of showing that one appreciates their roots.


Comments

Popular Posts