DORA THE EXPLORER!!

Growing up I used to be a Dora fan. I'd sing along to the songs;
                dora dora doora the expoloreer
                I'm the map I'm the map
                backpack, backpack yaay!
You can understand my excitement when I was asked to make this cake. It was my chance to explore with the cake just as Dora does on her adventures.
So I started looking for ideas for the cake.
Dora's face is where all the fun is since she's not a princess where the gown has all the attention. I then settled on doing her face.


I usually start such themed cakes by finding me a template then just build everything from that.
I got Dora's face and used it to cut out the cake to that shape then gave the cake a crumb coat.
Prepared my board by covering it in pink fondant icing drawing from the colour of her top.
I then placed the cake onto the board. I made a tan coloured fondant for her face and a mocha coloured one for her hair. The template was used as a guide when cutting out the fondant.
When her face and hair were done, I still felt like I wasn't quite there yet. Boots, the map, the backpack and the stars were also a huge part of the adventures, I just had to find a way of incorporating them. I used fondant to mould them and instead of stars I put hearts just to give it my own twist.


Basically all the characters have eyes so I gave them all eyes.


 At this point I now felt like I had given the cake some character and I was happy with the results.
I happened to attend the party and you know you've nailed it when the kids start saying stuff like, 'sorry Dora but we're gonna have to eat your face.' I was happy seeing the kids reach out for the map, backpack, boots and the stars. When you're a baker you understand the feeling.

Remember to go on cake adventures!!😘

Comments

Popular Posts